The Center for Community Progress' VAD Academy is a virtual bootcamp for public, private, nonprofit, and community leaders whose work and communities are impacted by challenges related to vacant, abandoned, and deteriorated (or “VAD”) properties. VAD Academy offers the latest insights and tools to help you address vacant, abandoned, and deteriorated properties in your community.
Save the Date: The 2024 VAD Academy will take place June 5-6. To get notified when registration opens in late April, sign up for our newsletters.
Vacant, abandoned, and deteriorated (VAD) properties plague communities of all sizes across the United States. Whether spurred by historic, inequitable policies, industry loss, or natural disasters, these properties create compound challenges for residents and local governments. When working to comprehensively address and transform VAD properties, communities can find it difficult to know where to start.
Center for Community Progress’ VAD Academy was created to help public, private, nonprofit, and resident leaders craft equitable, effective approaches to addressing these property challenges. From breaking down complex systems, to sharing smart strategies for resident engagement and fostering compliance, the VAD Academy aims to equip leaders to help return properties to purposeful use.
During the VAD Academy, community development experts will guide you through critical topics related to property revitalization. These topic areas include:
- Impact of VAD Properties: Explore the root causes and impacts VAD properties have on communities and why utilizing a systemic approach can effectively address vacancy and abandonment.
- Strategic Code Enforcement: Learn how to develop code enforcement programs responsive to the diverse needs and priorities of different neighborhoods.
- Property Tax Management: Understand how reforming property tax enforcement systems can contribute to equitable neighborhood stabilization.
- Land Banks and Land Banking: Examine how land banks can help eliminate properties’ liabilities and return them to productive use.
- Vacant Land Stewardship: Uncover the sustainable, inclusive, and comprehensive strategies behind vacant land reuse and how to empower residents to lead reuse efforts in their communities.
- Equitable Revitalization: Take the tools you learned about at the VAD Academy and build a plan towards equitable revitalization in your community.
Whether you work with urban, suburban, or rural communities, the VAD Academy curriculum will help you combat widespread abandonment and neighborhood decline.
2022 VAD Academy presentations and recordings
“[The VAD Academy allowed me] to clearly see how all the different aspects of our work connect and how they can be leveraged for the betterment of our communities”
Anonymous Survey Respondent, 2019 VAD Academy