Our team is happy to assist you with finding the stories you need!
Media inquiries should be directed to:
Maria Elkin, Director of Communications
We invite you to explore our website to find out more about our work. To follow Community Progress in the news, subscribe to our newsletter and connect with us on social media.
- Akilah Watkins to Depart as President and CEO of Center for Community ProgressThe Center for Community Progress Board of Directors issued the following statement on the departure of President and CEO Akilah Watkins. After more than five years of dedicated service, Dr. Akilah Watkins will depart her role as President and CEO … Read More
- Dr. Ibram X. Kendi, Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot to Open the 2022 Reclaiming Vacant Properties ConferenceDr. Kendi and Mayor Lightfoot join Tonika Lewis Johnson and national philanthropic leaders as keynotes at national community development conference WASHINGTON, D.C. – August 18, 2022 – The Center for Community Progress (Community Progress) is honored to announce Dr. Ibram … Read More
- New “Blight Elimination Program” Offers Transformative Grant Funding to Rural and Urban Michigan CommunitiesMichigan Association of Land Banks and Center for Community Progress applaud the bill, which provides much-needed funding for vacant property stabilization, remediation, and demolition. LANSING, MI – On June 30, 2022, the Michigan State House and Senate passed H.B. 5783, … Read More
- Community Progress Welcomes 2022 Community Revitalization Fellows from New York, Pennsylvania, and Puerto RicoThe Center for Community Progress announces the selected fellowship cohorts for this year’s Community Revitalization Fellowship. WASHINGTON, D.C. – May 24, 2022 – The Center for Community Progress (Community Progress) is honored to share the participants for the 2022-23 Community … Read More
- Community Progress Welcomes Four New Board MembersVince Bennett, Michael Nutter, Karen Freeman-Wilson, and Toni Griffin join the Center for Community Progress board of directors. WASHINGTON, D.C. – April 25, 2022 — The Center for Community Progress (Community Progress) is pleased to welcome to its board of … Read More
- Community Progress Hails the American Rescue Plan Act Final Rule Issued by TreasuryThe Final Rule provides important clarifications and expanded definitions that will enable local leaders to confidently fund ARPA recovery programs that include rehabilitation, demolition, deconstruction, greening, and maintenance. WASHINGTON, D.C. – January 7, 2022 — The Center for Community Progress … Read More
- Community Progress Launches National Creative Placemaking DatabaseWashington, D.C. – Today, Center for Community Progress, America’s leading resource on landing banking and vacant, abandoned, and deteriorated (VAD) properties, announced the launch of its new Creative Placemaking Database. The growing database features creative placemaking projects from across the nation, project … Read More
- National Reclaiming Vacant Properties Conference in Chicago, Illinois on September 7-9, 2022Washington, D.C. – Center for Community Progress will host the tenth national Reclaiming Vacant Properties (RVP) Conference in Chicago, Illinois, on September 7-9, 2022, at the Hilton Chicago. Community Progress is America’s leading nonprofit resource for urban, suburban, and rural communities seeking to equitably … Read More
- New Resource: Vacant Land Stewardship Online Resource CenterWashington, D.C. – Today, the Center for Community Progress, America’s leading resource on issues of vacant, abandoned, and deteriorated (VAD) properties, launched the Vacant Land Stewardship Online Resource Center, an expansive, ever-growing database of submitted vacant lot projects from across the country, along with new publications on best practices for vacant land programming and … Read More
- Communities are Using Arts and Culture to Tackle Challenges Amid the Pandemic; and it’s Working (Press Release)The Saving Power of Community Creativity highlights leaders’ response to COVID-19 and racial injustice through arts, culture, and creative placemaking, created to be a resource for others. Washington, DC – June 29, 2021 – Today, the Center for Community Progress, America’s leading … Read More
- Twelve Cities Selected to Address Vacant Properties at the Vacant Property Leadership InstituteCenter for Community Progress and the National League of Cities announce the selected cities and states to attend the Vacant Property Leadership Institute for Free Educational Programming and Customized Technical Assistance. FLINT, MICH. – Delegations from twelve cities across four … Read More
- Well-Known Georgia Community Development Leader Joins Community Progress’ Newly Formalized Place-Based ProgramOdetta MacLeish-White to Shape Vacancy Prevention & Affordable Housing Initiative in Georgia Washington, D.C. – March 27, 2021 – Today, the Center for Community Progress (Community Progress), the nation’s leading resource on land banking and revitalizing vacant, abandoned, and deteriorated (VAD) properties, … Read More