The Cost of a 2×4 is What?! Overview of Lumber Costs and the Opportunity for Deconstruction
Event Type: Virtual
Topic(s): ARPA, Code Enforcement System, Local Analysis
When: August 25, 2021
Time: 12 PM ET
Lumber prices’ historic highs are one key factor driving up the cost of essential revitalization activities like affordable housing development, vacant lot beautification, and commercial property rehabilitation. With the infusion of critical funding from the American Rescue Plan Act, many communities are considering how they can continue their economic recovery and stabilization activities in light of these high costs. Learn how salvaging wood from structures through deconstruction can provide an alternative, local source of lumber and offer additional community benefits.
Attend this webinar to learn:
- How lumber costs have been trending, what is driving the escalating costs, and whether lumber prices are likely to fall in the future
- How salvaged lumber could provide an alternative and innovations to make it more accessible
- What structure deconstruction is and the types of deconstruction
- What some of the challenges to deconstruction are and the added economic and environmental benefits of deconstruction
- Dr. George H. Berghorn, Assistant Professor of Construction Management and Adjunct Assistant Professor of Forestry, Michigan State University
- Mae Bowley, Executive Director, Re:Purpose Savannah
- Danielle Lewinski, Vice President of Technical Assistance, Center for Community Progress
Get the latest tools, resources, and educational opportunities to help you end systemic vacancy, delivered to your inbox.